The Gold Standard Foundation consists of, and is supported by, a Secretariat of 30 people based in 10 different countries, a Foundation Board, a Technical Advisory Committee (TAC), more than 85 NGO supporters, a roster of industry experts, UN accredited auditors and registry platforms such as Markit.
Each of these governance committees or supporters has a different role to play to ensure The Gold Standard maintains its credibility, honesty, integrity and robustness in the market.
- The Secretariat manages the day-to-day running of the standard, including strategic and technical development, operational performance, project certification support and governance, registry management, capacity building, marketing and fundraising.
- The Foundation Board provides financial oversight and strategic governance of The Gold Standard Foundation.
- The Gold Standard Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) is an independent body composed of market specialists that provide expertise, guidance and decisions on methodology approval, rule changes and appeals.
- Gold Standard NGO Supporters can take an active part in the project development process, offering their expertise in the areas most suitable for the project type and project location, thereby lending further credibility to local sustainable development initiatives. Every NGO that supports The Gold Standard helps strengthen the collective statement that the carbon market should foster transparency, environmental rigor and sustainable development.
Foundation Board Members
- Daniel Wiener, BASE (Basel Agency for Sustainable Energy) & Ecos, Switzerland
- David Shelmerdine, (President of The Gold Standard Board) The Myer Foundation & Deputy Chairman ClimateWorks Australia, Australia
- James Stacey, Earth Capital Partners LLP, United Kingdom
- Liam Salter, Reset Carbon, China (Hong Kong)
- Martin Hiller, REEEP, Austria
- Qian Guoqiang, Sino Carbon Innovation and Investment (SCII), China
- Rob Fowler, (TAC Chair), Essential Change Advisory Services, Australia
- Tim King, Risk & Finance Specialist, France/Australia
Gold Standard Technical Advisory Committee (TAC)
TAC: Energy Sub-committee
- Meinrad Bürer (Sub-committee Chair), International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, Switzerland
- Narendra Paruchuri, EnerGHG, India
- Owen Hewlett (Sub-committee Vice Chair), Davis Langdon, UK
- Rutger de Witt Wijnen, Simmons & Simmons, Netherlands (on sabbatical)
- Shelagh Whitley, Overseas Development Institute, UK
- Shigueo Watanabe, CO2 Consulting, Brazil
- Steve Thorne, SouthSouthNorth, South Africa
- Suzanne Longworth, co2balance, UK
- Tom Owino, ClimateCare, Kenya
- Ugur Serkan Ata, Treasury, Turkey (on sabbatical)
TAC: Land Use & Forests Sub-committee
- Asep Suntana, Surya University, Indonesia
- Gianluca Gondolini, FAO, Italy
- Jacqueline Gehrig-Fasel (Sub-committee Chair), TREES Forest Carbon Consulting, Switzerland
- Ram Chandra Khanal, Ecological Services Centre, Nepal
- Rob Fowler (TAC Chair, Sub-committee Vice Chair), Essential Change Advisory Services, Australia
- Sudha Padmanabha, Fair Climate Network, India
- Tony Knowles, The Cirrus Group, South Africa
TAC: Water Sub-committee
- Adam Harvey, Whave, Uganda
- Anna Forslund, Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI), Sweden
- Biksham Gujja, AgSri, India
- Carlo Galli, Nestlé, Switzerland
- Dean Thomson, World Vision, Australia
- James Dalton, International Union For Conservation Of Nature (IUCN), Switzerland
- Jamie Pittock, Australian National University, Australia
- Samuel Bryan Nexus, UK
- Scott Harder (Sub-committee Vice Chair), Environmental Finance Group, USA
- Sascha Lafeld, First Climate, Germany
- Todd Gartner, World Resources Institute (WRI), USA
To find out more about the governance, guidelines and responsibilities of the TAC, please click on the PDF below:back to top