GrowToZero: How carbon offsetting reduces global emissions and creates value for business and society
CLIMATE WEEK EVENT
Scientists and environmentalists are agreed on the urgent need for private sector action to avoid a climate disaster. There is now clarity from the Science Based Targets initiative on how companies should decarbonise. This event is about the best ways for businesses to take responsibility for their full climate impact along their decarbonisation journey by investing in emission reductions beyond their boundaries.
Wednesday, 23 September 2020
11:00 – 12:00 EDT / 17:00 – 18:00 CEST
For over 15 years the voluntary carbon market has helped companies compensate for their emissions, supported by robust processes and methodologies to measure, verify and report on impact.
This event outlines:
- How carbon offsetting fits into a credible and robust climate strategy, enabling companies to answer investor and customer calls to take full responsibility for climate impact
- The impact of the voluntary carbon market in reducing emissions and delivering additional environmental and social impact
- How companies have used carbon offsetting to date and the value it has delivered for their business
1. Introduction: Sarah Leugers, Gold Standard – The need for private sector finance and how carbon offsetting can serve as an effective tool for climate mitigation and broader SDG impact
2. Brad Schallert, WWF – How companies can complement internal emissions reductions with carbon credits
3. Moderated discussion with companies
- Peggy Brannigan, Senior Program Manager, Global Environmental Sustainability, LinkedIn
- Peter Dering, CEO, Peak Design
4. Audience Q&A