positive action for people and planet
We all have a role to play in the fight against climate change. Your actions, however small, can have a profound impact when combined with thousands of others wanting to make a difference. By being conscious of the choices you make and their effect on the environment, you not only reduce your own carbon footprint but also build demand for more Climate+ policies, practices and products around the world.
Going Climate+ starts with knowing your climate impact. You should then make efforts to reduce that impact as much as you can. Finally, you can take action by supporting Gold Standard Climate+ projects, which not only cut carbon but also deliver life-changing benefits to vulnerable communities and help conserve local ecosystems.
Measure your climate impact
Understand how your travel, energy use, diet and other lifestyle choices influence the climate. You can estimate your carbon footprint through the calculator offered by our parent organisation WWF.
Reduce your impact
Check out our practical tips to reduce your carbon footprint in different dimensions of daily living.
- Turn off lights
- Turn down heating
- Properly insulate + draught proof homes
- Switch to energy efficient lightbulbs
- Unplug devices
- Line dry your clothes
- Switch to paperless billing
- Walk or cycle to work
- Switch to public transport
- Choose electric vehicles
- Reduce or eliminate airline travel
- Recycle + re-use wherever possible
- Consume less - buy fewer but better
- Try to avoid “fast fashion”
- Buy sustainably-produced food + goods
- Identify eco-friendly goods: The Ecolabel Index >> provides an extensive directory of environmental certifications for various products + services
- Eat less meat in favour of more plant-based diets
- Buy locally-sourced, seasonal foods rather than food imported from overseas
- Plant a garden + grow your own veggies
- Reduce or eliminate your consumption of bottled water and other beverages
- Switch to an electricity tariff supplied by renewable energy sources
- Invest in your own sources of renewable energy like fit solar panels, where possible
- Support energy suppliers that are working to provide 100% clean energy
- Check out the RE100 list of global businesses committed to operating on 100% renewable electricity
- Vocally support clean energy with friends, family and colleagues
- Tell your representatives how you value renewables and climate-friendly policies
- Vote with your wallet! Support businesses that take climate action
Offset what you cannot avoid: Go Climate+
However much we try to reduce our footprint, some emissions are still unavoidable. As well as reducing your climate impact, businesses and individuals alike can take positive action to take accountability for their carbon footprints by supporting climate protection projects.
Gold Standard was established in 2003 by WWF and other international NGOs to ensure projects that reduced carbon emissions not only featured the highest levels of environmental integrity but also positively contributed to sustainable development. As well as helping in the fight against climate change, every Gold Standard-certified project supports sustainable development through added benefits like providing local communities with safe drinking water, protecting endangered species, improving health or creating local jobs.
Yarra Yarra Biodiversity ProjectYarra Yarra Biodiversity Corridor – capturing 1.257 million tonnes of carbon in a region where over 90% of forests have been clearedOFFSET YOUR EMISSIONS6MW Solar Power Project by Arhyama...First Solar Power Project of Andhra Pradesh State of India, helps improve the energy mix for India.OFFSET YOUR EMISSIONS
Safe Water Access in RwandaThis project rehabilitates broken boreholes providing families with clean drinking water, and removes the need to boil water to purify it.OFFSET YOUR EMISSIONS22.5 MW Wind Power Project in Rajasthan...Wind project in India focusing on sustainable development for the local communityOFFSET YOUR EMISSIONS