On 30 April 2019, Madeleine Staaf Kura submitted a letter requesting an official grievance be raised against a registered Gold Standard project - Çeşme Wind Power Project, Turkey (GS ID 2542 – GS Version 2.2). The complainant alleged that the project developer had not adhered to Gold standard principles during the implementation and operation phase of the project activity and had submitted to Register the project using misleading information.
Specifically, the allegations concern the following:
- Breaches of Gold Standard principles concerning safeguarding and Do No Harm (Principle 1)
- Failure to provide sustainable development benefits (Principle 2)
- Failure to include relevant stakeholders/conduct a stakeholder consultation (Principle 3)
- Concerns raised about removal of existing vegetation and associated leakage (Principle 4)
- Failure to comply with relevant local laws (Principle 5)
- False or misleading information contained in Monitoring Reports (Principle 7)
A formal investigation has been initiated. If, subject to further investigation any of the above allegations are found to be true, then the project is in non-compliance with GS principles.